Suggestions for Pledge Support
- Set a goal- Harbor House requires each person to raise $750 but challenge yourself and go higher - if you aim for $1,000, it makes it easier to get to $750 ... AND you just might surprise yourself!
- Make a list of everyone you know including family, friends, classmates and business contacts.
- Write to people (use social media, and other forms of correspondence), organizations and businesses you interact with, telling them you are riding 184+ miles.
- Develop a team of fundraisers- have friends and family collect money for you at their places of business (e.g., throw a small party, barbecue, or other type of get-together- tell them about your upcoming ride- ask if they will help to support you)
- Place a jar or pledge sheet (with a request note and a photo of you with your bike) at your favorite hangout.
- Tag at your local food markets- call ahead and make reservations for weekend dates.
- Use the contact form to reach out to Michael Bucca to arrange for a collection and/or for you or an Ocean’s Harbor House representative to speak at your church or other group.
- Ask donors if their company has a matching gift program - you can double their pledge if they do
Email Writing Tips
- Include where you are going and when you are leaving.
- Explain your excitement.
- Provide background on Ocean's Harbor House.
- Suggest a pledge amount, e.g., .10/mile = $0.40.
- Give a date, before you leave for the ride, that the money is due.
- A separate sheet or tear-off portion that your addressee can return is helpful.